Monday, December 30, 2013

Food resolutions


'Tis that time of year when we make great plans for the year ahead. Lose weight, eat better, exercise more… You know the rest. But if I could make just one resolution it would be to plan my meals better. So often I find myself standing in front of the fridge and not knowing what to make or eat. If only I had planned ahead and had lots of veggies. I will definitely eat more vegetables. They are so versatile, not to mention healthy.

But planning ahead takes more than just a fully stocked fridge. It takes knowledge and inspiration. That's where Tamar Adler and her book, An Everlasting Meal comes in. Adler advocates cooking with all parts of your food: bones, peels and the ends of your food. Her thought provoking essays make you want to curl up with a bowl of homemade soup and remember the days when you spent hours in the kitchen. Luckily you won't need hours or a lifetime supply of food. Adler teaches you how to use those more boring of veggies like celery, onions and potatoes. Just don't be fooled, this is not a book of recipes. This is a book on cooking philosophy, if such a thing exists. Check out her videos below and prepare to fall in love like I have.

Tamar Adler preps veggies for the week

Tamar Adler boils water (and I fall in love)

No comments:

Post a Comment